My two current non-executive board positions are of a coal mining business and a Derbyshire charity. I am also a member of the faculty at The Academy of Executive Coaching, the world’s most highly accredited coach-training organisation.
I like change, as you will from see from my career history below. Along the way I’ve been lucky enough to work with some brilliant individuals and to have fun in some wonderful teams. The successes have only come when teamwork was present.
Over a 30-year career, I have held Board positions in mining, quarrying and manufacturing both in the UK and internationally.
As Managing Director of Tarmac Central Europe, I led the rapid growth of the business in Germany, the Czech Republic and Poland through a string of acquisitions, innovations in logistics and cost reduction. Whilst Director at Aggregate Industries, responsible for quarrying in the Midlands and North of England, we significantly reduced the cost base of the business in response to the 2008 market collapse, thereby maintaining profit margins in a declining market. As Director of Surface Mining at UK Coal plc, we increased the rate of development of planning applications for new mines and fundamentally improved the way the business interacted and communicated with its neighbours.
I am most proud of my achievements in the field of safety where I have always led businesses to dramatic decreases in accident rates and, in the process, proved that zero harm is an achievable target.
I have the following:
- An honours degree from the London School of Economics (1984),
- A Diploma in Coaching accredited by the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (2011) (emccuk.org),
- A Diploma in Advanced Coaching accredited by the International Coach Federation (2015)(coachfederation.org)
- Individual accreditation (at ACC level) from the International Coach Federation
- Training to support and administer a range of 360-degree feedback tools and
- Fellowship of the Institute of Quarrying.
Outside work, you are most likely to find me clad in some man-made fibre, either swimming, cycling or running in the Peak District of Derbyshire where I live.